When you touched your device, did the hum/buzz noise increase? Well, in most cases, this is likely to be caused by a missing Ground/Earth connection that normally shields your system from such interference and drains away the noise.
Electrical safety and EMC Legislation require certain ways of designing AC power systems. This legislation does not consider audio systems and is mandatory. It can lead to the irritating issue of hum, buzz, hiss and general interference in certain systems where:
• The system includes at least one AC mains powered device or has an AC mains charger attached and it has no Ground/Earth at all
• The audio system has at least two AC mains powered devices which leads to more than one, multiple Ground/Earth connections.
Go to our Tech Specs section to check out the simple guide to diagnosing if you have a Ground/Earth issue and to discover how the Groundhog will help.
At iFi, we know how annoying unwanted noise can be. No-one enjoys a tedious listening experience. Not even Stan our Smiley Man!
If you have identified that you have a Missing/No Earth, then the Groundhog is for you. Its sole objective is to put the Ground/Earth back into your system and banish those unwanted, audio pests. No predicting the weather with this hog!
All you need to do use a standard IEC power cable to connect the Groundhog to your audio system. The Groundhog then adds back the missing Ground/Earth connection to dissipate noise.
Our Groundhog is multi-talented as it includes a variety of connections to suit just about any audio system.
• RCA base cable – for any audio system with an unused RCA socket.
IEC (Earth pin only) to RCA (male)
• USB converter – for a computer audio system. Just connect to a spare USB port.
USB to RCA (female)
• Spade converter – for power supplies with a DC barrel connector.
DC Spade to RCA (female)
• 3.5mm Y-converter – for portable devices with an unused 3.5mm connection.
3.5mm to RCA (female)